Electrical Safety Requirements For Selling Or Renting Your House

If you are selling or renting your house in Western Australia, you will need to ensure that you meet the laws on electrical safety requirements.  Every dwelling must have the following before being rented or sold:

  • A minimum of two Residual Current Devices (RCDs) fitted to protect all lighting and power circuits; and
  • A least one hard-wired smoke alarm that complies with WA Building Regulations.

At GKB Electrical we can inspect your house to ensure that you meet these requirements and issue an Electrical Compliance Certificate prior to settlement.

Residual Current Devices (RCDs)

RCDs, or safety switches, cut the electricity supply instantly if a person touches a live part and receives a shock. They can also provide some protection against electrical fires.  All houses constructed after 2000 should already have at least two RCDs fitted however you should ensure these are in good working order prior to selling or renting your house.

Further information about RCDs is available on the Office of Energy Safety website.

Smoke Alarms

In addition to the RCD requirements, there is also a requirement to have hard-wired smoke alarms that are in good working order and no more than 10 years old.  If a hard-wired smoke alarm cannot be fitted (apartments or ceilings with no access for new wiring), then a long-life lithium powered (10 year) smoke alarm must be installed.

The location and number of smoke alarms you need will depend on the type of dwelling and floor plan.  For single level homes, smoke alarms must be installed on or near the ceiling:

  • In all hallways leading to bedrooms; or
  • Where there is no hallway, in an area near the bedrooms.

Further information about smoke alarms in available on the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.

Electrical Safety Certificate

A licensed electrician can inspect your property to confirm that a minimum of two RCDs are protecting all socket outlets and lighting points and smoke alarms are installed in accordance with the WA Building Regulations.

An exemption may apply to the above requirements where the buyer will be demolishing the property.  In such cases, we would recommend that you seek further advice on these exemptions.

It’s important that you ensure that you have met your electrical compliance obligations prior to settlement otherwise this can cause delays and/or result in significant penalties.  The team at GKB Electrical are licensed electricians that can perform a safety inspection, rectify any issues and provide an electrical safety certificate.  We have helped many sellers and landlords meet their compliance obligations across the Perth metro and Peel region.  Get in touch with us today for a free quote!

Leave a Comment

Get in touch with GKB Electrical today!